Designed by one of America 's most famous architects, William Strickland, this church was built in 1816 and named St John ' Church, Protestant Episcopalian.
In the beginning there were many Episcopalian members, but over the years their number decreased so much that by 1931 there were only five families left.
At the same time, the Romanian community of Philadelphia , numbering over two thousand members - the big majority living around this church- was organized into a parish, but had no church. Therefore, the Episcopalian Archdiocese decided to give the use of the Church to the Romanian Community, for unlimited use with the obligation to pay $15.00 per year and to make any necessary repairs.
With the Episcopate's approval, an altar with catapetasma has been added to the sanctuary. The Orthodox Parish painted the interior and they added a tower with a Cross and three bells. This gave the church its specific Orthodox style.
In 1972 the Church with the attached buildings was donated permanently to the Romanian parish.
Due to the historical and architectural merits of the structure, on February 24, 1983 this church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.